The Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System has announced the closing dates for seven libraries included in the first group of the Library Renovation Program.
The Sandy Springs, Southwest Atlanta, Kirkwood and Washington Park Libraries will close to the public on Wednesday, August 8, while the Dogwood, Roswell and West End Libraries will close to the public on Tuesday, August 21 to begin extensive renovation work, as part of the library system’s capital improvement project.
All seven libraries began exterior construction work earlier this summer in preparation for closing of the branches in August.
“Upgrades will include items like new HVAC systems, roofing, upgraded technology, improved layouts, new shelving, study rooms, ADA accessible restrooms, and more,” said Dr. Gabriel Morley, Director of the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System. “While we know the closing of libraries will bring some inconvenience, the result will be well worth it. We look forward to completing the renovations as quickly as possible and re-opening beautifully renovated libraries that can serve their communities more efficiently.”
Renovations are expected to take anywhere from 3 to 9 months, depending on size and scope. During construction library service will be available at the following nearby locations:
For Sandy Springs and Roswell Libraries:
- East Roswell Library, 2301 Holcomb Bridge Road, Roswell 30076
- Alpharetta Library, 10 Park Plaza, Alpharetta 30009
- Milton Library, 855 Mayfield Rd., Milton 30009
- Buckhead Library, 269 Buckhead Ave. NE, Atlanta 30305
For Dogwood, Southwest, Kirkwood, Washington Park and West End Libraries:
- Metropolitan Library, 1332 Metropolitan Parkway, Atlanta 30310
- Southeast Library, 1463 Pryor Road, Atlanta, GA 30315
- Wolf Creek Library, 3100 Enon Road, Atlanta 30331
- South Fulton Library, 4055 Flat Shoals Road, Union City 30291
All dates are subject to change. For up-to-date information on the Library Renovation Project and for information on all libraries being renovated, please visit: http://www.afpls.org/news/2193-library-renovation-project-update or call the renovation hotline at 404-613-READ(7323).