A buildup of propane in a Chattahoochee Hills home may have been the cause of an explosion that took the life of a prominent Fulton County resident.

Late Tuesday night, Chattahoochee Hills Fire Chief Greg Brett arrived on scene of a home explosion in south Fulton County off of Cochran Mill Road. The investigation is still ongoing, but investigators with the State Fire Marshal’s Office believe that the explosion may have been caused by a buildup of propane inside the home.

“A spark or a flame could have set that off,” said State Fire Marshal Jeff Hogan. “Thirty-six years in the business and this is the worst I have ever seen.”

The victim was identified as 83-year-old Charles “Chuck” Miller of Chattahoochee Hills.

According to friends, Miller was well-known in the community and was an excellent chef who frequently shared pictures of the food he cooked.

The blast was said to be heard in several counties. Nearby residents explained that they initially thought a plane had crashed and stated that it sounded as if a bomb went off. Others say they believed it was an earthquake.

Debris from the explosion was found as high as 60 feet up in surrounding trees and several nearbyneighbors’ windows were shattered. 

The explosion was described as “very unusual” by Chattahoochee Hills Fire Chief Greg Brett, who said he was good friends with the victim.

State Fire Marshal Jeff Hogan’s Fire Investigation Unit is assisting the Chattahoochee Hills Fire Department with this investigation.

How do you feel about this article?
Share your vote!
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0